I met Teri Rizvi back at the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop in 2018, I believe. She asked me to do a speed dating session for writers and I had such a great time doing it. Then, during the pandemic, I did a virtual session on how not to be ghosted with editors for the conference. I’m excited to be speaking with Teri now for Freelance Writing Direct, especially because registration for the conference is an appointment event, and it begins next week on November 15th.
In This Episode
Teri’s process for writing about herself in her book [2:45]
How a small every day moment can be universal through writing [4:03]
How Teri structured her book to encompass different topics [6:43]
The practice of elevating your readers with your writing [8:25]
Writing with humor [24:53]
Why the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop registration is an appointment event [26:02]
Estelle’s interview with Zibby Owens on Freelance Writing Direct
Watch on YouTube
About Teri Rizvi
Teri Rizvi is the founder and director of the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop at the University of Dayton, where she serves as executive director of strategic communications. She is the author of One Heart with Courage: Essays and Stories and the co-editor of Laugh Out Loud: 40 Women Humorists Celebrate Then and Now … Before We Forget and Sisters!, Bonded by Love and Laughter, both published in conjunction with the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop. Her essay “Living in the Moment” appeared in Fast Fierce Women (Woodhall Press, 2022). Her essays and feature stories have appeared in USA Today, The Christian Science Monitor, The Guardian (London), University of Dayton Magazine and the Dayton Daily News, among other print and online media.
Connect with Teri
Connect with Estelle
Her website: (sign up for her newsletter and receive her pitching guide).
Writing That Gets Noticed: Find Your Voice, Become a Better Storyteller, Get Published: Available wherever books are sold
Adjunct Instructor, NYU (Sign up for her latest classes)
Substack (craft tips, editor information, writing opportunities, early announcements and for paid subscribers special Freelance Writing Direct extended videos).
X (formerly Twitter)
I was also interviewed for the podcast Writers’ Voices: Estelle Erasmus Gives Great Advice in Writing That Gets Noticed
Don’t miss my latest substack issue called Beyond Craft to Publishing Confidential where I offer an extended version of my podcast interview with Kathleen Schmidt of Publishing Confidential for paid subscribers.
I’m so honored to be a part of the Season 19 AWP Writer to Writer Mentor program. My mentee is the talented Leslie Stonebraker.
I am also a 30 minute mentor for Women’s Media Group.
Estelle’s Podcast Appearances for Writing That Gets Noticed
- Writers’ Voices with Monica and Caroline: Estelle Erasmus Gives Great Advice in Writing That Gets Noticed
- The Avid Reader on Writing That Gets Noticed in a conversation with Sam Hankin
- Simply Write with Polly Campbell Editor, Author, Teacher Estelle Erasmus Talks Pitching and Publishing
- The EmPOWERed Half Hour: Find Your Voice, Become a Better Storyteller, and Get Published with Award-Winning Journalist, Estelle S. Erasmus
- Dr.Sheryl Ziegler’s Pod Couch Writing To Find Your Voice
- Legacy Launch Pad with Anna David talking about Getting Articles Published and Landing An Agent
- Wellness for Financial Grownups with Bobbi Rebell talking about How to Get Paid for Jobs You Do (And Sometimes Do) for Free with Author Estelle Erasmus
- The Mom & Podcast Career Pauses, Pivots and Parlaying Your Skill Sets
- Financially Well-Off From Careers to Publication: A Guide to Writing Success
- Real Women’s Work Podcast: Writer, Writing Coach, Author of Writing That Gets Noticed