I am so thrilled to share this interview with Amy Jones, the Editor-in-Chief of Writer’s Digest. I’ve worked with Amy for years, and wrote the “All About the Pitch” column for the magazine for 2 years. In this informative conversation Amy covers everything a writer needs to know about writing for Writer’s Digest and shares her interests, favorite interviews with authors and what she (and her readers) learned.
In This Episode
- Writer’s Digest’s publication schedule
- The niches that print and online cover
- Writing and craft tips Amy has gleaned from novelists
- The secret to a writer’s persistence, when being faced with rejection
- Amy’s dream 2024 articles and pitches based on the Writer’s Digest editorial calendar
- Where to send submissions
- Paid subscribers to Estelle’s substack get to see even more from Amy Jones (https://estelleserasmus.substack.com)
Watch on YouTube
About Amy Jones
Amy Jones is Editor-in-Chief of Writer’s Digest and the former managing content director for Writer’s Digest Books. She is the editor of the Novel and Short Story Writer’s Market and the Children’s Writer’s and Illustrator’s Market. Prior to joining the WD team, she was the managing editor for North Light Books and IMPACT Books. She also spent time producing instructional videos for ArtistsNetworkTV. Like most WD staffers, Amy is a voracious reader and has a particular interest in literary fiction, historical fiction, page-turning mysteries, and steamy romance. She volunteers for the Dayton Literary Peace Prize and at Ohio Alleycat Resource, her local no-kill cat shelter.
Connect with Amy Jones
Connect with Writer’s Digest
Connect with Estelle
Her website: (sign up for her newsletter and receive her pitching guide).
Writing That Gets Noticed: Find Your Voice, Become a Better Storyteller, Get Published: Available wherever books are sold
Adjunct Instructor, NYU (Sign up for her latest classes, including her new NYU class called Writing That Gets Noticed, now appplicable for a journalism certificate)
Substack (craft tips, editor information, writing opportunities, early announcements and for paid subscribers special Freelance Writing Direct extended videos).
X (formerly Twitter)
- I loved speaking about my experiences working in publishing, and sharing craft advice with Bill Kenower for Author2Author.
- I was also interviewed for the podcast Writers’ Voices: Estelle Erasmus Gives Great Advice in Writing That Gets Noticed
My latest piece for Writer’s Digest: What To Do to Maximize Your Launch Week and Get Your Book Noticed
Don’t miss my announcement that Writing That Gets Noticed is now a Journalism Course at NYU for the Journalism Certificate.
Don’t miss my latest substack issue called Beyond Craft to Publishing Confidential where I offer an extended version of my podcast interview with Kathleen Schmidt of Publishing Confidential for paid subscribers.
Estelle’s Podcast Appearances for Writing That Gets Noticed
- My interview with the exuberant Bill Kenower on Author2Author, where we spoke about my experiences in publishing, and craft.
- Writers’ Voices with Monica and Caroline: Estelle Erasmus Gives Great Advice in Writing That Gets Noticed
- The Avid Reader on Writing That Gets Noticed in a conversation with Sam Hankin
- Simply Write with Polly Campbell Editor, Author, Teacher Estelle Erasmus Talks Pitching and Publishing
- The EmPOWERed Half Hour: Find Your Voice, Become a Better Storyteller, and Get Published with Award-Winning Journalist, Estelle S. Erasmus
- Dr.Sheryl Ziegler’s Pod Couch Writing To Find Your Voice
- Legacy Launch Pad with Anna David talking about Getting Articles Published and Landing An Agent
- Wellness for Financial Grownups with Bobbi Rebell talking about How to Get Paid for Jobs You Do (And Sometimes Do) for Free with Author Estelle Erasmus
- The Mom & Podcast Career Pauses, Pivots and Parlaying Your Skill Sets
- Financially Well-Off From Careers to Publication: A Guide to Writing Success
- Real Women’s Work Podcast: Writer, Writing Coach, Author of Writing That Gets Noticed